Sunday, January 11, 2015

Rosary Love... And A 5 Year Old Rebel In The Catholic Church...

Ever since I can remember, I was always fascinated by Rosaries. My parents were Roman Catholic (but never pressed us to follow the same religion, they wanted my siblings and myself to make up our own minds, fortunately!). I never saw anyone pray with a Rosary and so I believed Rosaries were jewelry pieces (now I believe they are fabulous jewelry, that you can also pray with). 

The first Rosary I ever saw was a black one, made with wooden beads and a silver cross. I loved the design and it had all this mystery that I found irresistible. I was 5 when I got my first Rosary, it was the black wooden one, as it belonged to my late maternal grandmother and as I was always playing with it, she eventually gave it to me. It was the greatest gift ever and I wore it every day.

   
Rosary Jewelry™ Collection
Red Moon Necklace, made with genuine
garnet beads ©2015 House Of Joris Jewelry
Madonna had nothing on me, oh no, when I was at the ripe age of 9, living in the house I grew up in, I came down the stairs early one morning, trying to blend in the morning routine, with 3 Rosaries around my neck, about 20 thin bangle bracelets and make-up. My mother was consumed by a story in the daily newspaper when she looked up (how did she know? I mean, I was being so quiet....). She put down the paper and said: "Oh no, no way, oh no, no way in hell you are going to school like that!" And that was it, my Madonna moment, sometime before Madonna had sex with the rest of the world. Needless to say, I went to school sans Rosaries, bangles and make-up. And red eyes from crying and wiping off the make-up.
Now that I make jewelry, I can not resist but using the traditional Rosary design. Before my head injury, I had a similar collection, the Rosemary Collection™. I do not know if I will go back to that collection, it is different then the one I am launching now. The one you can find in my store now is called the Rosary Jewelry™ Collection. It is very close to the traditional Rosary, except for the cross. I use meaningful- and sometimes playful pendants, like an elephant, a star, a hamsa, a guitar or a moon. You can still pray and/or meditate, depending on your choice of necklace. They are certainly made with love.

Thinking about being a child and the Catholic church, a memory comes to mind. My late father was the conductor of the church choir. My mother was a member of the choir. This meant that going to church was mandatory for me and my brother. First we went to a 'church daycare' but at the age of 5 I was sitting in the benches with everyone else.

During the week, I got to go with my father to church as well, as he would tune the organ and all that comes with it. I would walk around the church, all by myself or with my brother, checking out the paintings and playing under the benches. I also knew where to use the restroom. A very heavy oak door would take me out the church and into the Pastor's quarters, where I could use the restroom. The door was very heavy and if you did not close it, a very loud creaking sound would arise, all the way until this door was shut.
From the Rosary Jewelry™ Collection
Fleur De Lis Necklace, ©2015 House Of
Joris Jewelry.

One particular Sunday I was sitting in the benches, mostly I had no understanding of what the priest was saying, especially during the sermons. This particular Sunday the sermon was all about Catholic guilt and hell and fire. Instead of being afraid, I just plainly did not agree! I could not imagine that a God would punish so badly. About halfway during this sermon, I got up and walked quietly to the heavy door that lead to the restroom. I opened it and didn't pull it shut, on purpose. As I was sitting on the toilet, I could hear the Pastor trying to speak loudly above the incredible sound of the old oak door, trying to shut itself. The Pastor was not successful, neither was his sermon about hell, guilt and fire.

I guess I was born a rebel.

No comments: